Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Sunday Service

I will be the first to tell you that going to church every Sunday is not on the top list of my priorities. Usually that list includes; sleep, coffee, home depot, eastern market, or yard work. This Sunday is a special church day, so i thought it would be appropriate to go to church.

So, I went down to the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church in Bloomingdale, on the corner of 2nd and Rhode Island. I didn't really know what to expect, but rushed around to make the service around 7am. The church was deceptively large, considering the size of the external structure. There must have been about 350 people there for the early morning service. The choir was 60 people strong and the music bellowed through the dome of the church and out into the foyer as I entered.

I felt a few eyes on me as an usher directed me toward an open pew. One was most certainly because I arrived late. The other, well, because I was the only non African American in the place. This is not a commentary, just an observation.

The church was full of energy, great music, dancers and participatory congregation. The minister was excellent, and gave a great sermon. His dynamicism was amazing.

On the way out several people wished me a happy easter, and others asked that I make Mt. Pleasant my regular church. Which was great.

We live in a good community. Hope you all had a happy easter.

No comments: