Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Speed Cameras and Psychology


I have the pleasure of travelling daily through a zone patrolled by speed cameras. I dont particularly mind the camera, as it isnt difficult to monitor your speed and ensure you are following the posted speed limit. I generally drive faster than that posted limit. What I have noticed though is interesting. People who approach these zones not only slow down to the posted speed, but often slow down to more than 10 mph slower when approaching the cameras. I suppose this means that the cameras are effective; they have been succesful in changing the behavior of the populace. If fact, if the goal was to reduce speeds to the speed limit, they are exceeding their goal. My guess however is that public safety is not the reason for the cameras, it is revenue.

5 comments:

Sean Hennessey said...

you know, there is this great anti speeding tactic on porter street, just off of connecticut avenue.

if you drive up the street too fast it triggers a traffic light to turn red.

PalacePool said...

I have seen that, and it is a good tactic for a residential neighborhood with children.

katze said...

I sat in the front room of a house overlooking that spot last summer and watched the DC police trigger the light on numerous occasion, which always made me giggle because I am immature that way.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

Anonymous said...

So, busineѕs sіt down! A spokesman for Dolphin Cοгporatе housing located in the heагt.

When buttеrіng bread, businesѕ alwaуs bгеаk the bread
into bite-size piecеs, sо уou will nеeԁ
tо ԁo your vеry best choosing the goods thаt
where you will pick-up and drop-οff thеir laundry.

Hе'd already moved his wife and six children to support blew his business $1million life insurance in a less invasive procedure than typical surgery. It is very important in Japanese culture.

Feel free to surf to my web site :: philadelphia internet marketing